Dogstar, the alternative rock band featuring Hollywood actor Keanu Reeves on bass, is back with a bang. The band has announced its first new album in 23 years, Somewhere Between the Power Lines and Palm Trees, and a massive tour across North America and Japan. If you are a fan of Dogstar, or just curious about their music, here is everything you need to know about their upcoming tour dates, concerts, and tickets.
Who is Dogstar?
Dogstar is an American alternative rock band from Los Angeles, California. They were initially active from the mid-1990s to the early 2000s, during which time they found moderate success but garnered significant media attention due to Reeves’ involvement. The band consists of Reeves on bass, Bret Domrose on vocals and guitar, and Robert Mailhouse on drums.
The band’s name comes from a book by Henry Miller called Sexus, which Mailhouse found while browsing a bookstore. The band’s sound is influenced by grunge, punk, and indie rock, and they have been compared to bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and R.E.M.
Dogstar released two albums, Quattro Formaggi in 1996 and Happy Ending in 1999, as well as several EPs and singles. Some of their most popular songs include “Cornerstore”, “Halo”, “Breathe Tonight”, and “Superstar”. The band also performed at various festivals and events around the world, such as Glastonbury, Zwemdokrock, Zee Cine Awards, and David Bowie’s Hollywood Palladium gig.
However, the band split up in 2002 due to scheduling conflicts and personal differences. Reeves focused on his acting career, while Domrose and Mailhouse pursued other musical projects.
Why are they back?
Dogstar surprised their fans in July 2022 when they posted a short message on Instagram saying “We’re back” and shared tour dates. The band had been secretly working on new material for a while, and decided to reunite for a performance at the BottleRock Napa Valley music festival in May 2023. The band received a warm welcome from the crowd and the critics, who praised their energy and chemistry.
Dogstar then announced that they had signed a deal with Dillon Street Records, an independent label founded by Mailhouse. They also revealed that they had recorded a new album, Somewhere Between the Power Lines and Palm Trees, which is set to be released on October 6, 2023. The album features 12 new songs that showcase the band’s evolution and maturity.
The band also released their first single from the album, “Everything Turns Around”, on July 19, 2023. The song is a catchy and upbeat rock anthem that reflects the band’s positive outlook and optimism. The song also has an accompanying music video that features the band performing in various locations around Los Angeles.
When and where are they playing?
Dogstar has planned a massive tour to support their new album and reconnect with their fans. The tour will start on August 10, 2023 in Hermosa Beach, California, and end on December 20, 2023 in Nashville, Tennessee. It will cover 29 cities across the US and Canada, as well as some shows in Japan in September.
Dogstar tour dates are as follows:
- August 10: Hermosa Beach, CA @ Saint Rocke
- August 11: Phoenix, AZ @ Crescent Ballroom
- August 12: Las Vegas, NV @ Brooklyn Bowl
- August 15: Salt Lake City, UT @ The Complex
- August 17: Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
- August 18: Boulder, CO @ The Fox Theatre
- August 19: Aspen, CO @ Belly Up
- August 22: Napa, CA @ Uptown Theatre
- August 23: Menlo Park, CA @ The Guild Theatre
- August 24: San Luis Obispo, CA @ Fremont Theater
- August 26: Ventura, CA @ Ventura Music Hall
- August 27: Solana Beach, CA @ Belly Up
- August 28: Santa Ana, CA @ The Observatory
- September (dates TBA): Japan
- November 30: Los Angeles (LA), CA @ Troubadour
- December 3: San Francisco (SF), CA @ Great American Music Hall
- December 5: Sacramento (SAC), CA @ Crest Theatre
- December 7: Chicago (CHI), IL @ Thalia Hall
- December 8: Detroit (DET), MI @ Majestic Theatre
- December 9: Toronto (TOR), ON @ Lee’s Palace
- December 11: Brooklyn (BK), NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
- December 12: Boston (BOS), MA @ Paradise Rock Club presented by Citizens
- December 14: Philadelphia (PHI), PA @ Underground Arts
- December 15: Washington (DC), DC @ Howard Theatre
- December 16: Norfolk (NOR), VA @ The NorVa
- December 18: Charlotte (CLT), NC @ The Underground
- December 19: Atlanta (ATL), GA @ Center Stage Theater
- December 20: Nashville (NSH), TN @ Brooklyn Bowl
How to get tickets?
Tickets for all the North American shows will go on sale on July 21, 2023 at 10 a.m. local time. You can buy them online through the band’s official website or through various ticketing platforms such as Ticketmaster, Live Nation, AXS, and Eventbrite. You can also check out the venues’ websites for more information on ticket availability and prices.
The tickets for the Dogstar Japan tour dates will be announced soon, so stay tuned for more updates on the band’s social media accounts.
What to expect from the concerts?
If you are planning to attend one of the Dogstar concerts, you can expect a lot of fun, excitement, and nostalgia. The band will play songs from their new album, as well as some of their classic hits and fan favorites. You can also expect to see Reeves rocking out on his bass guitar, Domrose singing his heart out, and Mailhouse pounding the drums. The band will also interact with the audience and share some stories and jokes.
The concerts will also feature some special guests and opening acts, such as fellow alternative rock bands Beck, Weezer, and Foo Fighters. The concerts will last for about an hour and a half, and will have a mix of fast and slow songs. The band will also have some merchandise for sale, such as t-shirts, posters, CDs, and vinyls.
Why should you go see them live?
There are many reasons why you should go see Dogstar live in concert and attend these tour dates. Here are some of them:
- You are a fan of Dogstar and their music. You have been waiting for them to come back for a long time, and you don’t want to miss this opportunity to see them perform again.
- You are a fan of Keanu Reeves and his movies. You want to see him in a different role, as a musician and a band member. You want to witness his charisma and charm on stage.
- You are a fan of alternative rock music. You enjoy listening to bands that have a unique and original sound, that blend different genres and influences, and that have a loyal and passionate fanbase.
- You are looking for a fun and memorable experience. You want to have a good time with your friends or family, or meet new people who share your interests. You want to enjoy some live music, dance, sing along, and have a blast.
The Bottom Line
Dogstar is one of the most interesting and underrated bands in the history of alternative rock music. They have a distinctive sound, a diverse discography, and a remarkable story. They also have one of the most famous bassists in the world, Keanu Reeves.
Dogstar is back with a new album and new tour dates, after more than two decades of hiatus. They are ready to rock the stage again and delight their fans with their music. If you are one of them, or if you are curious about them, you should definitely check out their tour dates and get your tickets as soon as possible.
You don’t want to miss this chance to see Dogstar live in concert. It will be an unforgettable experience that you will cherish for a long time.